Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When local councils do good



With plastic waste, and plastic water bottles in particular, one of my big environmental bugbears, I was very happy to spot this installation in progress at Bondi Beach.

The guys were in the middle of concreting when I took the shot, and an offical-foremanish looking guy had even stopped by to supervise the work.

"It's that good is it?" he asked, as I snap-happied.

Oh yes indeed. One of the reasons people keep buying bottled water and other drinks is because when they're out and about that's the only source of vital hydration. Places to refill a bottle are often hard to find and I've been caught out more than once with an empty sigg and no taps in sight. Shop proprietors are not always as accommodating as you'd expect.

So, this is progress. A couple of thousand or more of these around our city and we are well on the way to eliminating a plastic bottle or two.



No comments: